Wednesday, July 11, 2007

An Unexpected Gift

As I was working on the computer this morning my 6 year-old twins burst in from outside yelling at me to "come and see R. and this bird she is singing to and holding in her hand." They proceeded to tell me, in their rapid, animated voices, the story about this bird, who was hanging out in their "fort" (an old walnut tree stump hidden by the shoots springing up all around the base of the trunk).

Apparently, R. saw the bird nestled in the branches while they were sitting on the stump playing "elf princess." Ever the romantic child, with visions of Snow White and Brian Jacques' Redwall characters in her mind, she started singing to it as she held out her open palm to him. The bird jumped into her hand!


I have to say that I was a bit skeptical. I thought that perhaps the twins, in all their excitement, were embellishing a little. Nevertheless, I followed them downstairs and took my camera outside to find R., confident that by this time I was not going to actually see her with a bird. But, I was willing to be with her in her excitement and listen to her story.


What I found when I made it outside was an 11 year-old girl singing Brahms' "Ladybug" and various Anglican hymns to this tiny bird perched in her hand. I couldn't believe my eyes. The bird was not attempting to fly away, but was sitting contentedly in her open palm. Every now and then the bird would chirp along with her as she sang. It was an incredible sight.

The kids were beyond delighted as they sang to and observed this small, unexpected gift of grace which had interrupted their morning play.

And I, as their mother, was thankful for the experience. I was thankful that they had the capacity to observe, wonder, and reflect on all the beauty that this moment held. I was also profoundly grateful to God for the reminder that His grace can sometimes be found in very unexpected places -- even among a young mockingbird with a penchant for Anglican hymns!

4 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

I just love these kind of serendipity moments that become delightful glimpses into the heart of God! Please continue to keep that camera handy...I love your sharing! It IS true...God is good...ALL the time! Hugs!

A Square Peg said...

It is no wonder God uses children to speak....they are so open to Him and His creation. As adults we would be thinking...germs!! But children see the creation created by the creator! What a blessing. May we all somehow find and hold on to that little part of us that we had as children. And may our children not become calloused as they grow into adults.

Unknown said...

How cool! Uncle Steve says that it's a mockingbird, not a song sparrow, and its probably responding partly bec. it is picking up the song (it is the age that they imprint their songs)... next year the bird may be singing pieces of the hymns!
love,
Aunt B.

DearestDragonfly said...

Yes, this made me cry also! What an absolute miracle!

When I was Rachel's age, I would talk to butterflies and invite them to stay...to not be afraid of me and flit off to another place. I really did want one to alight on my finger, which never happened!

What a special relationship your 'songbird' has with creation! I just read Betsy's remarks -- yes, perhaps there is an imprinting, linking between a special human and a special bird in all this. Brahms! Anglican Hymns!! Weren't they first inspired by the Holy Spirit song bird in the first place?

I love this Rachel Carson quote: Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. I think of the living out of this on your 'Green Gables Farm'.